Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Autumn Leaves, Edith Piaf, and the Granola Bar


This has been a good week so far. Most of my regulars have stopped by, or just smiled in passing. It feels good to check in with my musical family. The judge in his 80's, with his retired Chinese opera singer on his arm, my flower store friends and the restaurant owners, the dollar store owners...they've all checked in. There is a warmth building here. Maybe it's just me, feeling acceptance and support, but it feels good.
Today a lanky young man stood still for about five minutes in front of me, listening, studying the floor, or lost in his thoughts. He opened his back pack and pulled out a granola bar and tossed it into the case, then smiled and took off. I thanked him for lunch.
Then there was the little old lady, probably under five feet tall, I guess in her 80's, who had lunch at the nearby table. She was a Ruth Gordon type with an impish sparkle in her eye. After she finished eating, she walked up to me. "I didn't know what on earth you were playing, and I didn't recognize any of your songs, but I liked what you did." I thanked her, and asked her, what kind of music she liked. "I'm a singer," she said. "I like the old romantic songs." I started playing and singing the old French song, which Johnny Mercer translated into English called, "Autumn Leaves." My new friend started swaying to the music, took a deep breath, then joined me in harmony. The two of us stood there, the odd couple, singing "Autumn Leaves" in harmony. It was beautiful. It touched my heart. Harold and Maude.
If you want to hear how I play "Autumn Leaves" you can go to YouTube and type in "Eva Cassidy--Autumn Leaves." This is my favorite arrangement, and I've tried to copy it. There's also a great version on YouTube of Edith Piaf singing it in both French and English.
What a great song.
The autumn leaves, drift by my window,
Those autumn leaves of red and gold.
I see your lips, those summer kisses
Those sunburned hands, I used to hold.
Since you went away, the days grow long
And soon I'll hear old winter's song
But I'll miss you most of all, my darling,
When autumn leaves start to fall.

1 comment:

  1. i just love reading your posts David. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete