Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Legalized Busking

For the past two days I've been getting used to my new assigned spot. I'm legal and I have to display my permit like a fishing license. I'm located not far from my original spot where I played under the radar for four months. It's Spot Number 3, and I play from 12 to 3 PM. The permit is legit seven days a week. At the moment I'm playing Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. It's next to an atrium , located on JFK Blvd and 16th St., with and entrance from the street level. It's opposite a brand new Au Bon Pain coffee shop. I'd love to see you all, if you care to drop by.
Today was interesting. This African-American musician stopped by and listened for a while. He plays guitar and sings, mostly Motown. I grew up on Motown and it's in my blood. He and I ended up doing a version of "My Girl" in harmony. It was very cool.
I also met a woman today who was dressed in garb from Senegal. She is a spoken word artist and is married to a percussionist who played with John Coltrane, Wilson Pickett and the Beach Boys, among others. I told her how we had met the keyboard player of the Beach Boys, Carli Munoz, in Old San Juan during our recent trip to Puerto Rico. Small world.
Yes, it's all about the people, making connections. I'm lovin' it.

No comments:

Post a Comment