Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My First Dancer, My First Applause, It's All Good

Today was cool. I had my first dancer. While I was singing, he stopped to listen, then turned toward me, smiling through his bad teeth and unshaven face. His clothes were rough around the edges and his bandanna was slightly crooked. He seemed harmless. I continued singing, and suddenly he started to get his groove on, gyrating gently, sensuously, to my mellow song. The young women working the register in the cafe across from me looked at me, curious but concerned, as if to ask if I was o.k. I winked at them, and they smiled back. My dancer continued, carving out a space in front of me for his performance. When the song was over, he sat down at the table next to me. He spoke but I couldn't make out his garbled words. He smiled and repeated what he had said, but to no avail. I just nodded and started the next song. Then he rose and started his dancing again, and I played something with a little more beat to it. He got into it, smiling, his eyes shut.
For the rest of my time there, he sat next to me, nodding to the beat, smiling. Harmless. Friendly. A place to roost.
I sang "Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers. I liked his groove. Apparently the young women who work at the cafe and had requested the song, liked what they heard. They broke into applause when I was done.
My stage. My people. It's all good.

2 comments:

  1. I have a lump in my throat. Keep the stories coming. I love you friend.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, C, Anonymous...who are you? Talk to me....
    David

    ReplyDelete