Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Visiting Angels

Lately I've been visited by angels.  They do not have visible haloes and wings.  They look like us, yet they appear out of nowhere and do good, bring peace, change our lives for the better in some small way and then disappear.
A bandmate of mine works for a agency called Visiting Angels that sends nurses out to people's homes.  I've always thought that was a very cool name for a homecare agency.  As my wife Patricia recovers at home from her broken hip, these visiting angels appear several times a week (lately braving harsh winter storms) to make her life a little better. 
Yesterday an angel visited me while I was busking.  I was playing a song, and out of the corner of my eye I noticed a young woman with long flowing brown hair and a peaceful smile, listening.  At the end, I smiled and thanked her for listening.  She gave me a donation and nodded.  I wished her a good day, and she disappeared into the crowd.  About two songs later, she reappeared in the crowd and approached a street person who was asking for money from the people sitting at Au Bon Pain eating their lunch.  He wasn't having much luck with them.  She touched his shoulder and asked what it was he needed.  He asked for money, but she asked him if he was hungry.  He nodded.  She handed him one on the bags she was carrying.  It had several large pretzels with mustard in it.  The troubled look on his face melted and he smiled with his crinkly eyes.  She then introduced her herself to him with her name.  He seemed to be caught offguard, but he told her his name, too.  She reached out to shake his hand, smiling, but he hesitated and said that she shouldn't shake his hand, as it was not clean.   She touched his arm, then wished him a good day.  As she passed by me, we exchanged smiles again and I wished her a good day. 
What a gift to all of us.  These angels.
My step-son died almost two years ago.  I wrote this song to help with the healing.  I sing it every day while busking.

Looking for Jonathan
I’d like to think that you’re still here
Beside me when I walk
I feel your breath upon my face
At the door, I hear your knock.

On these city streets, you’re everywhere
Your reflection’s in the glass
I think I hear your voice on the bus
Or in the car that drives on past

    Your everywhere around me
    Your spirit fills the air
    Your peace and warmth surround me
    Stay with me, everywhere….

The leaves above they spread apart
The sun comes shining through
And then I see your brilliant smile
And then I know it’s you.

They say that life is but a dream
And death is just as strange
Cuz neither one is real to me now
They both seem just the same.

Come sit with me, talk to me now
Come tell me how you feel
I feel your arms around my chest
I know you’re just as real.
 

There are angels among us.  Bless them.  They help us to take the edge off of the harshness of life...earthquakes, broken hips, winter storms, homelessness....
We just need to be ready to welcome them.

1 comment: