Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Listener Supported Busking

The exciting thing about busking is that you never know what's going to happen or who will show up to listen.
The other day I was just setting up in Rittenhouse Square Park and a news crew from CBS walked up to me and asked me if I would sing a song to Sandra Bullock.  A sad love song, as she is having difficulty with her husband.  Without thinking, I said, "Sure."  As I tuned my guitar, I was thinking to myself, what on earth could I sing to Miss Blind Side.  I started singing "Autumn Leaves."
...Since you went away, the days grow long,
and soon I'll hear, old winter's song.
But I'll miss you most of all, my darling,
When autumn leaves start to fall.
Anyway, they caught it all on camera, and I  watched myself on a big screen tv with my wife while eating dinner at a neighborhood restaurant that night....
The next day I was playing in Suburban Station.  All of a sudden a group of maybe twenty Hispanic high school kids arrived and stopped in front of me and smiled, nodding to the rhythm of the song.  They were all very beautiful young people, shiny faces, some with braces on their teeth, well dressed, wholesome....  They seemed to enjoy the music.  At the end of the song, I announced, "Ladies Choice."  The young girls picked partners and they started dancing ballroom style to "Yesterday" by the Beatles.  It was so sweet.....  They were very generous with tipping, each person trying to out-do the other....
And today, Ellie stopped by.  She's the one who sang with me months ago.  She must be in her eighties.  Loves the standards.  I sang for her today.  She stood in front of me and listened intently.  Maybe ten songs.  Mostly originals.  She talked about each one, giving her commentary on the lyrics.  I felt very touched by this.  Like she needed to be there at that moment, and listen deeply.
Perhaps the highlight of the week was when my son Chris and his wife Alexis came and listened while I sang.  They had traveled from Colorado to be here to celebrate their mom's birthday.  They seemed to feel it was important to see and hear me doing my thing, busking, in my element.  After seeing the Liberty Bell and other historic attractions, they spent part of their afternoon in Suburban Station sitting, listening, offering support as I sang.  I felt honored to have them there to share with me what has become so important to me.  Playing music.  Sharing.
I need my listeners, as much as I hope they need me.  I hope Sandra Bullock heard my song for her.  Love hurts, and music soothes the pain.  I saw teenagers dancing ballroom style in Suburban station to my music.  Music celebrates raging hormones.  And Ellie sang along as I played sweet love songs for her.  Suspended in time, taking her back to a previous love perhaps, a romantic evening, a long lost lover....
I thank my listeners.  I am grateful to those who stop by.   I love the connection we have through music.  Music brings us together.  Music heals.  Music helps us transcend...

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad we got to come hear you play David. You really sounded great. Love Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fine blog entry. Thank you, David. And it was fun playing songs with you on Thursday. --tim

    ReplyDelete