Thursday, March 11, 2010

Celebrating Spring with Song

Now that the grip of winter has loosened up a bit, I found myself wandering back to Rittenhouse Square to share my music with the people passing by in the park.  I love Rittenhouse Square.  It is an oasis of nature in the middle of a very large and sometimes intense city.  It soothes the nerves to sit and listen to the birds and look at leaves....
My wife Patricia and I used to play with our August Sky music in Rittenhouse Square.  Back in 2001 tensions were beginning to build between street musicians and some less appreciative neighbors.  With phone calls to the police, they would set in motion the machine to remove the vermin from the park.  Just like the unwanted homeless, musicians were pariah.  We were usually shut down and kicked out of the park.  Eventually the battle came to a head in court, and musicians were allowed to play, but not allowed to open their guitar cases and take donations.
I figured I better check in with the policewoman on duty, just to let her know I was going to play and asked if that was cool.  She was very nice.  She showed me the rules on paper.  She told me she loved musicians and live music.  She said she wouldn't shut me down, and she'd turn her back, if I opened my guitar case for donations.  The new rules say, you can only play for one hour.  She said she would overlook that rule, too.  It was a regular love fest.
Anyway, I set up on the same spot we played in nine years ago and played for three hours.  It felt good to sing there again.  Many people sat and listened.  One young man lit some incense for me and stuck it next to my guitar case.  Many people commented positively about the music and said they loved sitting and listening.  I sang to the children passing by in strollers.  Itsy, Bitsy Spider brings a smile every time.
Pat wrote a song for Philadelphia in the spring which appeared on our second cd, Flight.  It's called Spring in Philadelphia, and it features jazz trumpter Faruq Dawud and jazz drummer Bob Fant.

Spring in Philadelphia

Spring in Philadelphia, blossoms in the air
I walked along the river, looking at the rowers
Wishing you were there
How can it compare
To any other city anywhere.

Every park and playground, is filled with happy noise
Lovers on their cell phones, puppies on their leashes
Laughing girls and boys
Funny little ladies, in funny little hats
Sneak a little smile at you
And hope you’ll smile back.

Daffodils and tulips, on museum lawns
Kids who hookied class, lying on the grass
Stifling their yawns
Spring in Philadelphia, makes your heart feel light
Buy some summer shoes, shirts in summer blues,
Anything that’s bright.

Keep an eye on robins, bent on some dissection
When you’re walking past, a wall that’s made of glass
Wink at your reflection
Sitting with your coffee, underneath a tree
There’s no way you can know, when you get up to go,
What miracles you’ll see.

Vendors selling flowers, pretty scarves and rings
Necklaces and watches, sandwiches and pretzels,
And a thousand things.
Unexpected joys, you’ll find on every street
Open up your eyes, be open to surprise
Life can be so sweet...
In the spring in Philadelphia.

So, Lovely Rittenhouse Neighbors, I'm back.  Along with other musicians, classical violinists from the Curtis Institute, flautists, guitarists, singers, troubadours of joy.  We're here to celebrate life with you.  We will shower you with song and love to help the winter thaw....

2 comments:

  1. David, --I looked for you in Suburban Station today. But I guess you are playing outside now. I hope to catch up with you again. Tim (Performer Area #3) Oh, please check this out:
    http://www.myspace.com/timlaborie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Tim, I took the day off today. I'll be in Suburban tomorrow, Friday, for sure....thanks for your comments....David

    ReplyDelete