Friday, April 30, 2010

Manna From Listeners

People show their appreciation for the tunes I share in many ways.  Most people toss money in my guitar case.  But I'm always amazed people share other items with me to show their thanks.  Yesterday a man gave me a portfolio and inside was a leather-bound Bible.  Not just a pocket edition, but a full-size, very thick Bible.  I'm not sure that his motive was to spread The Good Word, but his intentions were sincere and the smile on his face was somewhat beatific.
Here's a list of other things people have given me over the past few months, just to give you an idea.
1. Two Narcotics Anonymous medals for good work and encouragement to stay clean
2. A new unopened tube of skin cream
3. Septa tokens
4. fresh flowers
5. granola bars
6. one-hundred personalized business cards with my name on them (a sweet old lady had printed them up for me on her computer, figuring I needed to give people my contact information)
7. A Korean embroidered key chain
8. their own music cd's
9. pretzels and sandwiches
Other people have offered services.  One young photographer did a photo shoot of me in action and then emailed me all the jpg photos for my use.
Several times I've been invited to attend a prayer meeting (somehow I haven't found the time to attend yet) and people have prayed for me and with me.  I respect that, although it does take me by surprise.  But the idea that they feel I'm doing the Lord's Work by singing my music touches me.  They even called me Brother David.
Anyway, the point is, people give what they can sometimes, and I find it very meaningful and touching.  I truly appreciate smiles and winks and thumbs-up.
I guess as long as I receive those, I'll keep singing.
Praise Everyone. 
Brother David

No comments:

Post a Comment