Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Electricity in the Air, New Songs


It's hard not to feel it, there's an electricity in the air.  The holidays will do that.  Monday, as I was singing and playing, shipments of white and red poinsettias rumbled by on dollies.  Business at the flower shop near to where I sing has picked up.  Shoppers carry large bags, bulging with rolls of wrapping paper from the dollar stores.  Salvation Army bellringers beckon us to give, shaking their bells, in harmony, at opposite ends of the concourse.  Maybe that's a coincidence, that they are in harmony, but I don't think so.  I was informed by a hammer-dulcimer player, that one bell was in B-flat.  Ring, ring, ring...reminds me of my childhood on the streets of Boston.
The electricity is infectious, and music is part of that.  I've added a few secular holiday songs, like "Silver Bells," to brighten my setlist.  Share the spirit.  They balance out the heavier songs of August Sky that question society, not to mention those of Eddie Vedder like "Society" and "Long Nights," and those by  Donovan like "Try for the Sun" and "Ballad of the Crystal Man," which questions war.  I tend to fall in love with dark songs.
I've also added several of my favorite August Sky songs.  You can listen to these on our webpage:
www.cdbaby.com/augustsky1 and www.cdbaby.com/augustsky2
It's interesting to me that Patricia and I wrote so many songs to celebrate and pay tribute to the older people in our lives.  To paint a picture of the poignancy of aging.  These songs include "92," "In the Soft Light of Morning," and "The Bag Lady."  I'm also singing songs of yearning by August Sky like "Dreams of Horses," "Looking for Jonathan," and "Searching."
Regardless of your background or beliefs, there is a lot of good music out there this month, both live and recorded.  I hope you're able to enjoy some of it.  Music takes us to a different place, a magic place. 
My wish for you during the holidays is that you find that different, that magic place.

No comments:

Post a Comment