Sunday, January 8, 2012

Swan Song

Philadelphia is a great city.  The music scene is fabulous.  Jazz, rock, folk, blues, rap, R&B, classical...Philly's got it all.  I've been in Philadelphia twenty years, and I've enjoyed being part of the musical fabric of this city.  I've given a lot to it, and it has given a lot to me. 
I've played in many venues and with three bands, but the experience which has shaped me most as a musician is my busking on the streets and in Suburban Station.  I've been playng on the streets now for three years.  The experience has strengthened my voice and my guitar playing.  I've enjoyed adding harmonica to my sound.
Now I am turning the page.  Moving to Texas.  Corpus Christi to be exact.  Eight years ago August Sky, the acoustic band my wife and I had, played in Port Aransas, just north of Corpus Christi.  I got a taste of the music scene then.  I'm looking forward to carving out my niche as a performer with new venues, and perhaps new musicians.  During a recent visit to Corpus, we ate at a restaurant and our waiter happened to be a bass player in a rock band.  I looked out the window onto the street and saw the perfect spot for busking.  Across the street, between two bars where they have live music.  I'm sure I'll meet musicians and find places to play and share my music.
Who knows.  Maybe I'll continue this blog as http://www.buskingincorpuschristi.blogspot.com/.
I feel sad leaving Philadelphia and my musician friends.  This is my swan song.  You've all been so good to me.
I hope I'm leaving you all with some fond memories as well.
Rock on, everyone of you....

No comments:

Post a Comment