Sunday, July 4, 2010

Two to Tango

Picture this.  It's Sunday afternoon.  I'm playing in the concourse at Suburban Station.  A really slow sexy and sad song by Bill Withers called Ain't No Sunshine.  Suddenly a gorgeous Asian couple appears.  She is tall and slender and is wearing full-length tight summer dress, which accentuates her figure.  They start dancing a tango.  I don't know how they manage to fit the tango rhythm to the song, but they do.  She is so beautiful, she could probably manage to dance anything and it would work.  I really get into the song, a doleful harmonica solo in the middle.  A crowd gathers silently.  Watching.  The song is a sad song about how the sunshine is gone since his woman has left.  Only darkness everyday.  Ain't no sunshine when she's gone, and this house just ain't no home, any time she's gone away.  I end with a sad wailing harmonica riff.  The couple ends with a low dip.  There is silence.  Then the gathered crowd breaks into applause. 
And this is why I love doing what I'm doing.  It's moments like that happen every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment