Friday, May 28, 2010

Beyond Language

It's Friday night, I'm I'm heading down Second Street toward Chestnut to set up and play music and sing for all the passers-by, as they move from one bar to another during the course of the night.  I pass a pizza place and for some reason a young Asian woman catches my eye briefly through the window, as she stands at the counter, ordering a slice.  She doesn't see me and I continue on.  I play a song or two, and the same Asian woman, probably in her late twenties, comes up to me, pizza slice in hand, and stands near me and smiles, as she finishes her food.  At the end of the song, I greet her.  I find out quickly that she understands almost nothing I've said.  My Korean is limited to Hello, how are you?  Once I used that line, I was at a loss as to where to go.  I tell her my name, pointing to myself.  She does the same.  We stand in silence, smiling, looking around awkwardly.  I then say, "Beatles."  She smiles and applauds.  I sing for her "Yesterday."  And then a few more Beatles songs.  John Lennon got in trouble once for saying that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus Christ.  But maybe he wasn't too far off the mark with his comment.  Anyway, this Korean angel applauds after each song.  She hangs with me for at least a half-hour, maybe because she feels secure with the music, a familiar hook, an asylum in an otherwise alien city.  I manage to ask her about her travels, and she is traveling alone from NYC to Washington, D.C. via Philadelphia.  Alone.  No English.  What courage.  She stands at my elbow as I continue to sing.  A silent partner.  It was almost like she was catching her breath from the darts and arrows.  Finally, I sense it is time to move on for her.  She hands me a ten-dollar bill.  Her generosity touches me and I give her one of our albums.  We bow, as we say good-bye, then I blow her a kiss and she blows one back.  A blend of Asia and America.  We have learned from each other.
I wish you luck and safety in your travels, my Korean angel.  Thank you for listening and sharing with me through music, the best language I know.

1 comment:

  1. And people ask why I want to take up busking again. Just moved to Philly, going to try out Rittenhouse Sq. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete